Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral

Also knows as The Metropolitan Cathedral of the Most Holy Name of Jesus and St. Vitales and The Metropolitan Cathedral of St. Vitales, the first church in the Philippines that is dedicated to St. Vitales.  It was built by Miguel Lopez de Legazpi and Fray Andres de Urdaneta in 1909. It was reconstructed in 1950 after the World War II.
Located not far from the Basilica Menor del Sto. Niño, this old church was also damaged during the war. A mausoleum was built at the back the back of the cathedral and serves as the resting place for the remains of Cebu's bishops and clergy.
When I saw this church, I was so amazed how huge it is.  I'm not sure why, but this cathedral looks more interesting to me than the Basilica Menor del Sto. Niño. Probably because this church is understated and not overcrowded, unlike the basilica that is very popular with devotees. 
 
The cathedral was built years after the basilica and it became a cathedral because there were two churches beside it, the Basilica Menor del Sto. Niño & San Nicholas Church. I was not able to see the latter because we ran out of time.  But I'm really glad I saw other two old churches in the country.
The remains of an attempt to create the cathedral. Behind it is the rectory of the cathedral.
Pathway of the cathedral
A grotto just right after you enter the cathedral's vicinity from the basilica.
There was a mass when we visited so I was not able to take pictures the inside of the church. And I'm not sure too if it's open during regular days. 

When you visit Cebu, don't settle with just the basilica.  Take a walk and see this cathedral and if you have extra time, see the other church too, the San Nicholas church.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Please share and like my Facebook page :)

 
Unless otherwise stated, Lakwatserang Ligaw is the legal copyright owner of all materials on this site © Lakwatserang Ligaw | Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design